Unique Ways for Employers to Show Appreciation this Holiday Season
As the fourth quarter ends, many managers are focusing on the end of year sale goals and numbers. It is also important to keep in mind the employees who help make those goals each quarter, especially during the holiday season. In truth, an employee who feels appreciated and valued is a manager’s most valuable asset, as the productivity and loyalty of that employee will increase exponentially with each “thank you.” As they say, actions speak louder than words. So what actions can a manager take this holiday season to ensure that their employees feel appreciated?
Here is a list of a few ideas:
Contest for charity
Contests add fun and excitement for employees in the workplace and deepen comradery. During the holiday season, a charity contest brings out both the fun of contests and the giving spirit of the holiday season. Have each of your employees nominate their favorite charity. Then ask your team to vote on their top three choices from the given charities to determine which charities your company will give a donation. The company donations will go to the three highest voted charities, giving the highest amount to the top charity, second highest to second place, and third highest to the third place.
Everyone loves food
Arrange a holiday dinner with your team to help celebrate the season and all their hard work. Get the employees involved by giving them essential input in the process; the venue (restaurant), type of food (if catered), date and time, guests or no guests, type of entertainment, etc.
This gesture will go a long way in showing appreciation for employees, giving them something to look forward to and some down time together without office stressors. Involving them in the decision-making processes will also help to make them feel more valued not just in the workplace, but also amongst their peers.
Offering flexible scheduling during the holiday season is sure to be a big hit, especially among employees who will be attending religious services or school functions during that time. Create and maintain a calendar so that employees can balance their time off with their coworkers, to ensure all bases are covered and they are still able to enjoy the events of the season.
Fun & Useful Gifts
A small personalized gift to show you care can go a long way. Below are a few fun and useful gifts.*
- A simple and personal thank you card with a well-wishing holiday message and an included gift card can go a long way in making your team member’s holiday season brighter and ensure they feel appreciated for all their hard work and dedication throughout the year. Personalize the gift further by purchasing the gift card for their favorite restaurant, gym, or spa.
- These Pop-Open “Your Awesome” Cards by Compendium provide a fun way to tell a team member how awesome they are all year round.
- This squeezable frog is a great gift for someone who loves to fidget or just likes having a cute frog on their desk. It also is a great reminder to hop on that one thing we keep putting off as Mark Twain once said, “that if the first thing you do in the morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the rest of the day knowing the worst is behind you.”
- If you are looking for a more practical gift for that team member who is on the road a lot with their laptop, this laptop kickstand from Blue Lounge is the bomb! Our CEO uses it with her laptop and people are constantly asking her where she got it.
Create a fun tradition
Creating a fun and engaging tradition will raise the comradery amongst the team and increase their loyalty to the company. It can be as easy as a potluck meal during the last working week of the season. It can also be something that continues throughout the year, rather than just one day. For example, a “Tasty Treat Tuesday/Thursday” where employees can bring in their favorite treats to share with their coworkers. This is another great opportunity to get employees involved and have stock in their traditions.
Take every opportunity to show your team members praise and gratitude for all the hard work they put into making the business successful. The holiday season offers employers even more reason and opportunities to help their employees feel appreciated and valued. So, make the most of it!
At AHA! Business Consulting, we help you recruit, hire, and grow your team. Contact us now to see how we can help you find the right team members and keep them.
*Please note that as an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.
- PUBLISHED IN: Latest posts
- TAGGED UNDER: , employee appreciation, employee retention, Empowering Employees, holiday